Sunday, November 16, 2008

LISTENING

I did not talk for 5 days. I was in a state of constant observation of my body. What I felt? What I heard? Was I thirsty? Did I feel the temperature change? I came to appreciate that my hearing was acute! I could estimate and isolate sounds that were inside and outside the cottage. Just Like our eyes can focus on a particular point I was taking in multiple sound all of which were perceivable simultaneously. I could shift my focus from one to the other with the remaining becoming part of a peripheral aural mix.

The industrial foil I used on the windows billowed as the wind wrapped itself around the house. The house was breathing, in and out and around. I considered a harmonisation of the exterior and interior spaces. It was the bird life that captivated me. I made 2 Kookaburras.